- Search Results
 
 
Official Wants Plan To Maintain Bong Roads
Date Uploaded: Feb 23, 2014

Antoinette Weeks, Minister of Public Works

 

Official Wants Plan To Maintain Bong Roads

By Ballah Kollie, Bong County Correspondent

GBARNGA, Feb 22 (LINA) – Assistant Public Works Minister for Feeder Roads, Jackson Paye, has called on authorities of Bong County to institute mechanisms to maintain roads in the county.

He said unless authorities of the county ensure proper maintenance of rehabilitated and newly constructed roads in the county, it would appear in future that nothing was done in the county.

Speaking to reporters in Bong County Thursday, Mr. Paye said he is satisfied with the quality of work being done as contractors proceed with the implementation of projects for the Liberian Government and international partners.

Bong County Resident Engineer, Emulus Toliver, has meanwhile disclosed that the Liberian Government has, through a construction contractor; West Wood Corporation, resumed rehabilitation work on the 104 km road that runs from the Gbarnga Police Station to Zorzor in Lofa County.

According to him, government has also resumed construction work on the 51.6 kilometer Gbarnga- Botota road, and that traveling this distance has been reduced from eight hours to 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, the Government of Liberia in collaboration with West Wood Corporation has begun the construction of a 1.2 kilometer, 50 feet alternative road for use by trucks carrying logs.

The road will serve as a by-pass to Gbarnga, connecting Kokoyah to Ganta.

Mr. Toliver told LINA that the road will be 40 percent financed by the Liberian Government, while West Wood Corporation will finance the remaining 60 percent and maintain the road for 25 years while using it to transport their logs.

The World Bank, among other projects in the country, is financing the construction of the Fish Town- Harper Highway, estimated at over US$50 million, the Red Light-Jorbridge Road which connects northern, northwestern, western as well as central Liberia to Monrovia, valued at more than US$166 million dollars, while SIDA and USAID are spending millions of United States dollars on various projects across the country.

LINA BMK/TSS/PTK

 

latest headlines
U.S. Embassy Official Nudges Graduates To Believe In Self
he Economics Officer at the US Embassy here, Lilieth Whyte, has told graduates of the ‘Be The Change Academy’ Entrepreneurship Training and J ...more
Cadet Collins Departs for US West Point Military Academy
A young Liberian, Cadet Scott Amos Collins, has departed Liberia for the prestigious West Point Military Academy in the United States of America. ...more
‘Mental Disorder A Problem Globally, But Grave In Liberia’ - Macualey
The Chairman of the Liberia Chapter of the West African College of Physicians. Dr. Rose Jallah Macualey, says mental disorder is a global problem ...more
Defense Ministry Differs With Brumskine Over ‘Zogos’ Recruitment
The Defense Ministry says its attention has been drawn to the Thursday, June 22, edition of the New Democrat Newspaper under the banner headline ...more
GoL, LADA Hold Awareness On Food Safety Standards, Law
The Government of Liberia (GOL) and the Liberia Agro-Business Development Activities (LADA) have held an event aimed at creating awareness among ...more
Liberia Turns Over ECOWAS Ambassadorial Post To Togo
Liberian Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Prof. Al-Hassan Conteh, has turned over the Chairmanship of ECOWAS Permanent Representati ...more
 
All rights reserved © 2013 - 2014
Liberia News Agency