Ministry of Health
Health Official Sees Ebola Fight Being ‘Success Story’
By Wilfred Gortor & Prince Nagbe
MONROVIA, August 3(LINA) - Assistant Health Minister for Preventive Services, Tolbert Nyenswah, has expressed optimism that the fight against the Ebola epidemic will be a success story.
Nyeswah expressed the optimism against the backdrop that many Liberians are now applying the basic hygienic measures issued by the Ministry of Health during the early stage of the outbreak of the virus.
“This testifies to the courageous display of Liberians to wipe the Ebola virus out of the country,” he said at the Ministry of Information weekly press briefing in Monrovia Thursday.
“On my way to the press conference I noticed that people were now keeping containers at their door steps for washing hands, I was even told by the security at the entrance of the Ministry of Information that I will not be allowed to enter the building if I did not wash my hands. This is encouraging,” Nyenswah said.
He then congratulated government ministries and private institutions in the country for their efforts in applying the much-publicized Ebola prevention measures.
Meanwhile, Minister Nyenswah has frowned on those wearing gloves in the streets of Monrovia, adding, "those wearing gloves as a means of protecting themselves are doing so at their own risk."
“They are doing more harm than good… the gloves are supposed to be used in the hospitals and clinics and not in banks, cars or on the streets. It is better to wash your hands continuously than wearing gloves,” he said.
As of July 28, Liberia’s total Ebola cumulative cases stands at 352, with 95 confirmed.
The total death rate is 170 with76 confirmed, while there are 45 cases among health workers with 26 deaths reported so far.